Tuesday, August 2, 2011

#15 Done

Sew something on my sewing machine


This may seem easy to some but for those of you who know me, know that I am NOT a seamstress. I never really learned to sew and have never really had much of a desire to do it. My mother in law gave me a sewing machine a few years ago for Christmas and it has been sitting in my closet since. (Sorry Beth, it really was a great gift!) I got it out one time when my friend needed to use it and once when my mom helped me with a craft. Other than that, it never got much love. I decided that I would make pillows. I thought they would be easy enough since they are just square and all I would have to sew would be straight lines. I bought some pillow forms and some fabric and got to work.


All supplies out and ready to go!

and here I am unpicking the first stitches I did. It made that bumpy line instead of a straight line. Easy enough fix.

Things were going good and I was getting pretty confident in my sewing skills. My pillows were coming together just fine and then my worst fear came true. My bobbin ran out of thread!! What was I going to do!? Right at that moment I had wished that I had listed to my dear sweet 7th grade home ec teacher, Mrs. Erickson. I knew she taught us how to do it and I was now kicking myself for not paying attention!


I played around for a little while and finally...I figured it out! I got my bobbin loaded with thread again and was set to go again. I finished my first pillow, turned it right side out and realized I had sewn the wrong side together. Ok, keep calm, I told my self. I would just need to unpick the seam and re sew it. I broke a little sweat trying to get it to look perfect but in the end, I was ok with the results. I moved on to the next pillow, doing the same thing I had done on the first. I was a pro by this time and the second pillow turned out much better. I liked it so much more that I decided to redo the first one. Big mistake. It took me way too long and by the time I was done the second pillow was about 2 inches smaller than the other. I ended up with 2 small gray pillows that were both supposed to be 7X7. One ended up being about 5X7 and it took me 2 yards of fabric to make both. I don't think I did it right :) My table looked like a war zone once I was done with scraps and loose threads all over.

I finished my third pillow (the yellow one) and it was a much smoother process! I didn't have to unpick or redo anything and I love how it turned out!




I have now moved on to something bigger and better and WAY more complicated. Luckily I have a good friend who is helping me complete the project that was way over my head to begin with. I have enjoyed learning and trying something new. I will post pictures of my current sewing project if and when I get it done.

2 comments:

  1. They're really pretty! I know they mean even more because you made them! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love the colors! Oh, and who really listens to those Home Etc teachers anyways? Haha!

    ReplyDelete