Saturday, June 18, 2011

#14 Done

Get involved with the girls at LDS family services for adoption

For those of you who don't know, I got pregnant before I was married. It was something I NEVER thought would happen to me. I always thought I would grow up, get married, have sex for the first time on my wedding night and live happily ever after. I have since learned that things don't always go as planned and that is ok.

I had sex one time. I can't explain why I let it happen. I did and I was devastated. My world came crashing down two weeks later when I found out I was pregnant. I was scared, sad and heartbroken. Not only was I feeling so sorry and sad about doing something I never thought I would do, I was now going to be a mother.

The next nine months of my life would be the most emotional, hard, depressing, lonely, sad, spiritual, strengthening, testimony building months of my life.

I immediately contacted LDS family services and asked about meeting with an adoption counselor. I set up an appointment for later in the week. I was also invited to a birth parent group support meeting. I went to my first meeting the day after I found out I was pregnant. I did not know what to expect and was so scared walking into that room. I was greeted by several girls in the same situation as myself and instantly felt a connection to them. I felt loved and accepted by these strangers right away. I felt calm when I was around them. They knew what I was feeling. They knew how I hurt. They knew how scared and alone I felt.

For the next 7 months, these girls became such a support to me. I looked forward to my weekly meeting with them and the chance for us to get together and talk. I became friends with several of them and we would even hang out outside of the support group. They were such a strength to me. I loved talking with them and being able to discuss all our options and what each of us planned to do. Some of the girls had already placed their baby for adoption, some of us were still deciding, some of us had decided to place while others decided to parent.

These girls because my support (along with my amazing family and friends). I knew that someday I wanted to get involved and try to make a difference in someones life like these girls did in mine. That is why I put this on my list. I want to help someone in the same situation. I want to make a difference and maybe make one of these girls feel a little bit better in what will probably be the hardest time of their life. I have been attending the local LDS family group support meeting for those girls that have placed or are looking into placing or single parenting. I have enjoyed going to group and although it brings back so many memories for me, I am so glad that I have been able to go. I hope that someday, I can help someone in need and maybe make their decision a little easier by telling them my story.

I support adoption. I support parenting. I think that it depends on the situation and there are many factors that go in to play when making the tough decision.

I did not choose to place Zoee for adoption. I chose to parent her. I was 7 months pregnant when I finally made the decision. It was what was right for me. There is so much more to the story but parenting was the best thing for me. I do not look down on girls that choose to place or parent. I do not think that there is an easier option of the two. I think that whatever choice is made, it will present different challenges. I know I did the right thing for myself and I know the other girls made the right choice for them.

To learn more about LDS family adoption services, click here

1 comment:

  1. Way to pay it forward, Stace. You are wonderful. Life happens to us all and at the end of the day everything is an experience to learn something from. I love that you're getting involved in something so near and dear to your heart. Nothing is better then empathy when someone is in a tough situation.

    Bekah~

    ReplyDelete